The APEX and ruckus teams had an opportunity to visit Facebook this month for their Facebook PR Agency Day, which brought several leading PR and social media agencies together to outline what’s new and upcoming for Facebook and Instagram.
Here are our top five key tips on what communicators need to do to get the most out of Facebook and Instagram in 2019:
- Measure by business objectives over engagement: 91 per cent of a social media post’s brand impact is from those who never engage, that’s a large percentage of your audience from which you’re not measuring impact if you just focus on engagement. Before starting any programming review your business objectives and select the social platforms that will align to those business objectives.
- Get influencers to follow Facebook’s
creative best practices: The
average person scrolls through 300 feet of content per day (that’s the height
of the Statue of Liberty!) When building influencer programming, educate
influencers to consider the following best practices from Facebook user
- Design for sound off as 85 per cent of video is viewed without listening to audio
- Design for vertical video as 90 per cent of smartphone users hold their phones vertically
- Capture attention quickly as consumers can process a thought in 0.013 seconds
- Select a publishing option to match
video consumption habits: People
engage with mobile video in two different ways: on-the-go or captivated viewing:
- On-the-go viewing is typically seen in Stories or within the news feed
- Captivated viewing is typically seen in FB Watch, FB Live (watch parties or premieres) or IGTV
- Know that #sponsored doesn’t impact consumers trust: The rise of influencer content comes from audiences not trusting traditional advertising, however consumers are open to the small everyday influencer being a spokesperson as they trust their recommendations more than traditional ads.
- Extend content to the right audience: Organic reach, even for the influential, only goes so far.As the usage of social platforms increase, the need to have paid media support becomes even more important to meeting objectives.
Contributors to this piece include Katie Boland, Amanda Carreiro, Vanessa Cuartas, Marc Dodsworth, Vivian Kwong, and Nicole Pomeroy. Need help with your social strategy? Drop us a line.